Re: sorting outgoing mail

On 25Sep2007 21:52, Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Tuesday, September 25 at 08:29 PM, quoth Joseph:
| >I know procmail is used to sort an incoming mail but what about outgoing
| >mail.
| >Can I use procmail for sorting outgoing mail or I need to use hooks?
|
| Procmail is a delivery agent; it only handles incoming mail.
| Automatically sorting outgoing mail (i.e. putting mail into different
| folders as it is sent) requires send-hooks.

Well, yes and no.

You do have to contrive to hand a copy of the message to procmail, but if you
do that it will happily file that copy away for you.

I have mutt's sendmail setting set to a shell script that:
  - sends the message for real
  - copies the message to a few folders, usually =spool-out

I have daemon script watching spool-out that hands messages found there
to procmail using the spool-out/.procmailrc file. And lo, my messages
are filed.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.
        - Walter Elliott