quoted-printable query ...

I'm using mutt-1.5.16 with the softfill patch and receiving email from
a Microsoft Exchange V6.5 user and mutt is displaying "^M" at the end
of each line. This is unexpected. Example:

  Hi Cameron,^M
  ^M

I am not using a display_filter (and even so, would have expected it to apply
after QP decoding).

The Content headers say:

The raw content (in less) shows:

  Hi Cameron,=0D=0A=0D=0A

for the above text. Now, reading RFC1521, rule #4:

  Rule #4 (Line Breaks): A line break in a text body, independent of
  what its representation is following the canonical representation of
  the data being encoded, must be represented by a (RFC 822) line break,
  which is a CRLF sequence, in the Quoted-Printable encoding.

I would have taken this to mean that mutt should be decoding those =0D=0A
into a UNIX line ending for presentation, and that Exchange is producing
perfectly legitimate QP text which mutt is presenting badly.

Can someone correct my thinking?
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Widget. It's got a widget. A lovely widget. A widget it has got.
        - Jack Dee