Re: Programs to Receive and filter mail

On 2007-05-11 (Fri) 19:51:38 [-0300], Cleverson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like opinions on which of these fetch-mails programs is better and/or
> have less bugs: Fetchmail or Getmail?
>
> And about filtering and sending mail to specific mailboxes, do I choose
> Procmail or Maildrop?
>
> I intend to get those programs to work in conjunction with Mutt. If there
> are alternate programs, I of course accept suggestions.

FWIW, here's what Patrick Volkerding (Slackware maintainer) thought
(from the ChangeLog) as of a couple of days ago:

n/fetchmail-6.3.8-i486-1.tgz:  Upgraded to fetchmail-6.3.8.
  Added "fetchmail is probably not secure" to slack-desc.  When we've seldom
  had a Slackware release that didn't need a fetchmail security advisory
  before the next Slackware was out, I think that's fair to say.
  (* Security fix *)
n/getmail-4.7.4-noarch-1.tgz:  A secure python-based fetchmail alternative.

I can't recall why I started using getmail specifically - I know I
examined websites and maybe did a search or two and just went with
getmail and have never regretted it - well, there was a brief glitch
with one version where it would mess up the time stamp so mutt couldn't
tell me if mail was new or not, but it was fixed fairly quickly and
certainly wasn't as serious as fetchmail's many problems.

I have no experience with maildrop, but like procmail just fine.