Accented characters not showing in pager

I received an e-mail recently in which there were a number of accented
in the message body.  However, these characters did not appear, only
blank space where they should have been.

Opening this e-mail in another mailer on the same machine displayed the
characters.  I'm trying to discern why mutt is not displaying the
characters and other mailers are.

I thought perhaps there was something in .muttrc overriding the locale
setting, but I can find nothing.

The output of locale on my box shows:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Where else might I look to troubleshoot this?

--
Cheers,
Trey

Distress, n.:
        A disease incurred by exposure to the prosperity of a friend.

Linux laptop 2.6.16.37-0.23-default i686 GNU/Linux
 11:32am  up 2 days  5:59,  6 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.44, 0.53