Re: Sending mail

Kyle Wheeler wrote:

Your configuration looks correct. What error do you get when you attempt to send mail?

I still get  a

ssmtp: Cannot open mail:25

I made a search after I got some replies, I changed my .muttrc file to

account-hook imap://mech.kuleuven.be/ 'set imap_user=user imap_pass=password'
#mailboxes imap://mail.mech.kuleuven.be
set imap_user="user" #your IMAP user name or login
set imap_pass="pass" #your IMAP password
set spoolfile="imap://mail.mech.kuleuven.be"
set folder="imap://mail.mech.kuleuven.be/INBOX"
set folder="/home/utab/Mail"
set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp -audutabak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -appassword"
#set sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail
set editor="vim"

After this change the error is the same.
.

That's because it's not a bash (or shell) command, it's something that goes in mutt's config file (i.e. ~/.muttrc).

Yes, right, also a beginner and learner of linux. Step by step :)

Take the standard car analogy. Your car starts because you put the key in the ignition and turn. That doesn't mean that your new car radio will turn on when you stick your car key in the tape player and turn. The way you turn on the radio is NOT the same way you turn on the car. Similarly, mutt's config files are NOT your shell's config files. The fact that they use "set something=somethingelse" syntax may *look* like shell syntax, and may mean that your shell will interpret them as valid shell commands (though they won't do anything relevant to mutt in that case), but that doesn't mean that it's something that your shell *should* interpret. Your ~/.muttrc is a file that needs ONLY make sense to mutt; if your shell thinks it can understand some of it, that is purely coincidence and if your shell objects that it cannot understand all of it, that's irrelevant because your shell shouldn't be reading it in the first place.

Now you may be asking yourself "okay, so, if that's a mutt-only file, how does mutt find it to read it?" One of two ways. The first, and most common, is to put that file in a known location. Mutt always checks your home directory ($HOME or ~) for a file named .muttrc to read its configuration settings out of. The second way mutt can find the file is by telling mutt where it is when you launch mutt. For example:

    mutt -F ./.muttrc

That command launches mutt and tells it to read its configuration data out of the .muttrc that is in the current directory. The -F is a "flag" that tells mutt that the next word is the name of the config file it should read.

Does that make sense?

~Kyle
- -- That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved.
                                                  -- Benjamin Franklin
Thanks for this clarification, it helped :).

My best,