Problem with square-brackets in reply Subject:

Hello,

I'm using mutt to reply to emails sent by a ticket system.  The email subjects
have the form:

  Ex.
  Subject: [<QUEUENAME> #<Tkt. #>] Subject of Ticket

When I reply to this email, mutt removes anything contained between the square
brackets.

  Ex.
  Subject: Re: Subject of Ticket

I'm thinking I could use procmail to change square brackets to something else,
and then try a send-hook to switch it back?  Is there a less hackish answer?
If not, anyone have a good example of how to do that kind of regex
substitution in a hook?

FYI, I'm using mutt 1.4.2.1i.   If upgrading would solve this problem, I can
do so, but would prefer not to.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Burton Lee