Re: get filenames for maildir emails

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 09:19:48PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 08:42:33AM -0500, Javier Rojas wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 10:43:10AM -0500, David Haguenauer wrote:
> > > I would suggest looking for it my Message-ID: `grep ^Message.*XXX -r
> > > $MAILDIR' should do the job (with XXX replaced with the actual
> > > Message-ID and $MAILDIR your actual Maildir).
> > ... That's what I was trying to avoid... anyway, thanks!
>
> The filenames are cryptic and knowing their name is not generally
> useful.

The names are definitely cryptic, which is the whole point of asking
for a way to get them from mutt... Mutt knows what the names are.
However I would disagree that knowing the name is not useful.  It is
only not useful if you only ever manipulate your mail from within your
mail client.  There are plenty of conceivable reasons to do so using a
plain text editor or command line tools (editing e-mail addresses
which have changed in a list of specific messages, quoting e-mails in
a non-email document, etc.).

It may be possible to do some of these things within mutt, but it
might be easier or more efficient to do them using other tools, if you
are already working on a bunch of files which are not e-mails, or you
are using other tools to work on the files directly to do things that
can not easily be done from within Mutt.  Of course, you can pipe
messages to programs, but this is sometimes somewhat cumbersome,
depending on what you're trying to do.

I often want to do the opposite; I'm working on files, and I have the
filename of the message I want to see (obtained via grep or something)
and I want to display the message in mutt, à la mutt -f <file>...
But unfortunately that doesn't work with maildir messages.

-=-=-=-=-