how about the notion of filters for replying, etc.

Hey, based on my experience with trying to extract the delivered-to
address recently, I was wondering what mutt users thought about the
ability to filter messages through external scripts and such as a
feature of mutt.

For example, a typical muttrc entry might be:

reply_filter ~/bin/replyfilt

That would tell mutt to take the email you're replying to and filter
it through ~/bin/replyfilt.  That way, an external (and easily
customizable) script could perform any mangling you wanted, including
but not limited to adding attribution, setting From line based on
headers in the original, etc. etc.

If you don't define this line in the config file, nothing changes,
so there's no overhead.

I can see this as being a generally useful idiom that could be
applied in many contexts, akin to the hooks.