Re: mailbox creation problem

On 2006-11-23, Luqman <luqman_ngs@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I am facing a problem with mailbox files in my ~/Mail directory. Once I
> create a file with "touch newmailbox" inside ~/Mail, it can be used as a
> regular mailbox.
>
> But when inside mutt, I press "c" to copy a mail to mailbox and then
> choose a newmailbox name, this newmailbox is created but not recognized
> as a regular mailbox by mutt.

"c" doesn't create a new mailbox or copy mail to a mailbox, it
allows you to change to a different mailbox.   The command to copy a
message to a mailbox is "C".

Assuming that that was just a typo in your post, how do you know
that mutt successfully created the new mailbox and how do you know
that mutt doesn't recognize it as a mailbox?  I'm looking for enough
detail to identify the problem or narrow the possibilities.

Have you just started using mutt and you have not yet been able to
save a message, or have you used mutt for some time and this is a
new problem?

> I can open these files with mutt -f ~/Mail/filename though, and all emails are
> shown correctly.

So you have been able to save messages in the past.  How?
Specifically.

> Can anyone tell me what is the correct way to create a new  mailbox?

You shouldn't have to do anything special.  Typing "C" or "s" to
copy or save a message to a mailbox should prompt you with

    Copy to mailbox ('?' for list):

possibly followed by a suggested mailbox, and if you enter a new
mailbox name, you should see another prompt like this:

    Create some_new_name? ([yes]/no):

I'm sorry if I'm being dense.  This has always "just worked" for me
and I'm having trouble understanding what the problem could be.

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division