FWD: Re: How to make mutt execute commands from the command line?

(this is to share with the list what Nicolas answered, since I replied
to him privately by mistake, and get more feedback)

[...]

>> 1) Mutt beeps when starting and remains open after copying the messages.
>>    This is a sure sign that the '<quit><enter>' part is wrong, but I
>
>Are you sure <copy-message> does not ask for confirmation for
>appending to or creating the target folder?

yes. What I get is a mutt index of the original mailbox in which all
the messages are already tagged, and if I hit q mutt closes without
questions and I do find the new Maildir mailbox ready.

>>    as it has copied everything to the new maildir... (remember this
>>    should eventually run unattended inside a bash loop)
>
>I'm not that sure, that running mutt unattended, is the best idea.

why, exactly? Consider that I would do this only once offline, to
change format and name of many _archived_ mailboxes in a way that will
be surely usable by mutt when, in the future, they are opened. Is mutt
known for losing data when used in this way? Or maybe the doubts come
from something else?

>> 2) from a partial inspection, it looks like all the status (new,
>> read, unread) and other flags are left unchanged, in both the
>> original and destination mailbox, which is just what I want. The
>> question is, this _is_ what is guaranteed to always happen with
>> that macro, isn't it? Or maybe it happened in this test because of
>> some weird configuration variable?
>
>No idea.

Anybody else can confirm or deny that mutt always become as above?

Thanks,
                Marco

--
The right way to make everybody love Free Standards and Free Software:
http://digifreedom.net/node/73