Re: Charset ? mutt issue?

On Sunday, March 19 at 11:09 AM, quoth stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
I have an issue whereby when I recieve an email with an English pound
sign in it £ it is displayed as this --> "\243" [without quotes] or
somtimes it looks like "??".
I am not sure if it is a mutt issue or a a system one but I suspect
mutt.
My system is as follows :-
Gentoo linux
mutt 1.5.11
running under aterm.

I suspect your terminal charset and/or font. When you run “locale” what do you get? When you run this:

   perl -e 'printf("%c\n", 0243)'

What do you get? What is the value of send_charset in your muttrc?

You are sending mail with the charset “unknown-8bit”, so I’m guessing that you have a locale issue.

Try setting LC_CTYPE to something like en_US.UTF-8 (depending on what you can find in the output of “locale -a”).

~Kyle
--
There is no more evil thing in this world than race prejudice . . . It justifies and holds together more baseness, cruelty, and abomination than any other sort of error in the world.
                                                         -- H. G. Wells