Re: Weird quoted-printable messages from Outlook

On 2006-01-24, Phil Pennock <mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Someone else said that turning off the HTML alternate fixes this; that
> ties in neatly with this; the <p></p> for HTML-spacing is being
> converted to a blank like this.

The messages from the same users that are text/plain only look fine.

Also, the text/html part looks fine when saved to a file and opened
with Firefox, but it still looks bad when rendered by w3m.

> If you can't get the Outlook users upgraded to a version which either
> generates better plain-text or emits format=flowed (if there is such a
> version) then you're probably best off binding a key to a macro to edit
> the content-type of the current part to set format=flowed.
>
> To see if that would actually fix things, in the attachments menu use
> Ctrl-E to <edit-type> and then put this:  ; format="flowed"
> on the end of the type.  Then view.  If it's still displaying badly, I
> can't help you.

> Please let me know if that does help work-around things.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried that, but it's still displaying
badly.

I'm going to try to find someone around here who understands Outlook
and can tell me if it's possible to fix this problem.  In my
experience, however, people who use Outlook don't understand the
inner workings of e-mail and those who understand the inner workings
of e-mail don't use Outlook.

Convincing people not to use HTML for e-mail could be a hard sell if
it renders fine in most of their recipients' mailers and in a GUI
browser.

In the mean time, I've found a work-around that seems to work pretty
well.  I've added this to my default display_filter script:

    perl -pe '
        BEGIN {
            $/ = "[-- Attachment #";
        }
        if (/\[-- Type: multipart\/alternative/ && /[^ ]\n\n \n\n[^ ]/) {
            s/\n\n/\n/gs;
        }
    ' |

The tricky part is reformating only badly-formatted messages and
only the badly-formatted parts.

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division