The Mutt and satellite latency

Good afternoon,

A few months ago I had Wildblue satellite intenet service installed.
This has been a tremendous improvement over a 28k dial line. I knew of
the issues to expect regarding latency, but am still somewhat bothered
by the performance of mutt and IMAP. Everything seems to take place 1
byte at a time. Just as an example, after reading about 50 emails in my
Gentoo folder, and then telling mutt to "sync" that folder, I can just
watch the status line counter go by. Maybe 2-3 minutes! Opening folders
is the same. Just sit there and wait on "Sorting folder", even if the
folder only has 1 or 2 messages. Ouch!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps a particular patch or compile
time option.

//garbanzo/home/festus > mutt -v
Mutt 1.5.11 (2005-09-15)
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.6.13-gentoo-r5-2005-12-21 (i686) [using ncurses 5.4]
[using libidn 0.5.15 (compiled with 0.5.15)]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
+HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +DL_STANDALONE
-USE_FCNTL  +USE_FLOCK   -USE_INODESORT
-USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  +USE_SSL  -USE_GNUTLS  -USE_SASL
-HAVE_REGCOMP  +USE_GNU_REGEX  +COMPRESSED
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME
+CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME  +BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
+HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  +HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID
+HAVE_GETADDRINFO  +USE_HCACHE
-ISPELL
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="Maildir"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/etc/mutt"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
MIXMASTER="mixmaster"
To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>.
To report a bug, please use the flea(1) utility.

patch-1.5.6.dw.pgp-timeout.1
patch-1.5.6.dw.mbox-hook.1
rr.compressed
patch-1.5.4.lpr.collapse_flagged Lukas P. Ruf <lukas.ruf@xxxxxx>
patch-1.5.10.tt.assumed_charset.1

Thanks,
festus

--
I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer gods than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,