Re: bug(?) with mark_old=no and imap?

On 2006-01-23 at 02:17 +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
> I check my mail locally via mutt + maildir, but I also get a copy delivered
> via IMAP to my mobile phone.  Any time the phone pulls down a new message,
> it causes the mutt message flag to change from "N" to "O".  I don't want
> this.
>
> I thought 'set mark_old=no' would fix the problem, but it doesn't change
> anything.  (I also tried 'unset mark_old') Googling turns up this page:

The problem is the copy being delivered to the mobile phone is causing
the IMAP folder to update its "last viewed" time, which affects the
IMAP's server idea of "Recent".

The bug is in the program delivering to the mobile phone; it's using the
IMAP command "SELECT", where to be inobtrusive it needs to use
"EXAMINE", which opens the folder read-only and avoids changing the
server's idea of Recent.

If you need to point the mobile-phone-forwarder maintainers to why
EXAMINE is good for this, the key point is RFC 3501 section 6.3.2:

      The EXAMINE command is identical to SELECT and returns the same
      output; however, the selected mailbox is identified as read-only.
      No changes to the permanent state of the mailbox, including
      per-user state, are permitted; in particular, EXAMINE MUST NOT
      cause messages to lose the \Recent flag.

--
I am keeping international relations on a peaceable footing.
You are biding your time before acting.