mbox-hook: broken or useless?

For a long time I have been annoyed by having to use save-hooks
and manually saving certain mails that should be archived in
separate maildirs, so I checked out the manual and by the looks
of it, mbox-hook does exactly what I want:  The same as save-hook,
except that it is triggered automatically when changing folders or
exiting mutt.  After reading this, I substituted all save-hooks
with identical mbox-hooks, and tried it out.  To my disappointment,
mutt still saves _all_ messages in the maildir specified with the
'mbox' option.  This has to be a bug, right?

--
 Haakon