Annoying keyboard issue

This may not be the right place to ask this, but as mutt seems to be the most
consistent place I see the problem....

My mail set up is such that I run mutt from a machine at home no matter where I
am. I connect to it from various other machines using ssh. For me it works
wonderfully - except, from my linux machines I have this problem with the
keyboard. In a mailbox that is used to collect mailing list email, it is set to
be threaded. I normally use the default key combo (<CTRL><SHIFT><D>) to delete
threads. While in linux I sometimes have to hit the 'D' key three times before
the thread deletes. I'm not expert at key mappings so I've been lost trying to
find out why this is. My main linux system is running Gentoo 2.6.10 kernel, Xorg
6.8.2. I also use aterm as my terminal. If I use Putty from Windows, this
problem does not occur at all.

With one machine, Athlon64 running 2.6.9 kernel and Gnome with xterm the problem
is even worse. While composing (using vim) I can't type single or double quotes
properly. I've tried different key maps and looked through my xorg.conf, but I'm
lost on this one.

Any help would be so sweet. Thanks,
Bill

--
Protect your computer - Browse with Firefox!
Gentoo Linux - Flexible, Powerful

Patience is never more important than when you are at
the edge of losing it.