New mail count in Mailboxes view

Good morning,

I'm a little bit confused as to how the count of new messages gets
updated, as well as what is actually shown, when viewing mailboxes.
Right now I'm running the latest CVS, but this has stumped me for quite
awhile.

I ssh to a shell account from 2 different machines and start mutt inside
a screen session with the following commands:

ssh -C shell.provider
screen -S mutt mutt -y

or

ssh -C shell.provider
screen -r mutt  #if it's already running, which it usually is.

I then look to see which defined mailboxes have new mail. It usually
shows zero for all mailboxes until I hit "." which is bound to
check-new. However, this doesn't always show all mailboxes with new
mail. I access 2 different IMAP servers and encounter the same
issue with both. Yesterday I was at a friends house, and checked my mail
vis FastMails web interface, and found 2 folders that had new mail
that had arrived anywhere from a few minutes ago to 2 weeks ago.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
John
--
It is not unusual for those at the wrong end of the club to have a
clearer picture of reality than those who wield it.