Re: Anyway to scan IMAP messages to show sizes?

* Chris Green <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> [29-06-2004 14:29]:

> When in the index view of an IMAP folder only the sizes of messages
> one has read are shown - not unreasonable since sizes aren't known
> until the message is read and one doesn't want to read all the
> messages every time one opens the folder.

That's probably (I'm guessing here), because your $index_format contains
a '%l' (or a '%4l').  This tells mutt to read the Lines: header from the
message, and print the number of lines.  I think you don't receive these
headers from your IMAP server.

> However, is there a way to force reading of all the messages so the
> sizes are shown?  This would be very useful when looking for messages
> with large attachments which can then be deleted to save space.

Hehe, this sounds funny:  force to read all the messages (i.e. the
entire mailbox) so you can know how large each message is.  That
shouldn't be necessary..

If you change your index_format to contain a %c, the total message size
will show up in the index.  Note that this still doesn't tell you
anything about attachments, but it does tell you how large the message
as a whole is..

HTH,

--
René Clerc                      - (rene@xxxxxxxx) - PGP: 0x9ACE0AC7