Re: mutt in command-line mode

* Roy S. Rapoport <mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-24-04 14:19]:
> I keep weekly archives of all my incoming mail.
> Occasionally I have need to find mail from a given user.
>
> Today, the process is:
> A) for file in `grep $username *.archive | sed 's/:.*//' | sort -u`; do
>       cat $file >>! /tmp/someFile
>    done
>
> B) Invoke mutt on /tmp/someFile and do 'l ~f $username'
>
> If I could manipulate mutt from the command-line, I could do some sort of
> for file in `grep $username *.archive | sed 's/:.*//' | sort -u`; do
>       mutt 'T ~f $username' ';s /tmp/JusMessagesFromUsername' $file

Yes, replace all that conglomeration above with two packages, grepmail
and grepm

http://grepmail.sourceforge.net
http://www.barsnick.net/sw/grepm.html

to find all the files "from" user "abcxy@xxxxxxx" in files "file1,
file2, file3""

grepm -iRY ^From abcxy /path/file1 /path/file2 /path/file3

results:  mutt will open in index mode with the subject messages listed.

I use it frequently.
HOG # US1244711           Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/photos