Re: broken "^From " header

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:55:04AM -0600, Ben Livingood wrote:
> Hi Ionel, et. al.,
>
> * Patrick Shanahan (WideGlide@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote thusly unto the masses:
> > * Ionel Mugurel Ciobica <tgakic@xxxxxxxxxxx> [06-15-04 09:32]:
> > >
> > > I use mutt since many years now. I noticed a few months back that mutt
> > > can't read an e-mail where the first line is broken in two, something
> > > like that:

> > > Is there a way to fix that in mutt (or .procmailrc)?
> >
> > man formail
>
> This should help in converting the older broken emails into a correct
> format. I agree with some of the aforementioned threaders in that this
> isn't a permanent fix. There is something in your MDA [be it procmail or
> something else] that is splitting up the lines.

Or are you using qmail by any chance?  qmail doesn't do much validation
of various inputs, including the email addresses in the MAIL FROM or
RCPT TO.  Some months back I noticed that we were getting mail from
broken spam engines that were putting newlines smack dab in the middle
of the address in the MAIL FROM, and one side-effect was broken "From "
lines exactly like the original poster described.  I made a quick hack
to qmail to make it reject those addresses-- but IMHO qmail could stand
to have a lot more checking added.

mm