Re: Opportunistic encryption?

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 07:13:57AM -0400, Mark Schreiber wrote:
> Is there a decent way to opportunistically GPG-encrypt messages?  I'm
> thinking "if the key is in the keychain, encrypt".
>
> I can't seem to manage to pull this off with the existing mutt
> functionality -- there isn't a conditional in the pattern-matching
> language that will let me determine whether a to address is in the
> keychain, which I think may be necessary.

One thing that would be close enough for me would be to be able to back out of
the key selection when trying to send a message, or to be able to check
recipient keys before sending the message.

Currently, if pgp encryption is turned on, and there is not a key for one of
the recipients, you are dropped into the key selection menu.  Unfortunately,
the only way to get out of the key selection menu without sending the message
is to ctrl-c out of mutt.  It would be great to be able to just cancel out of
this menu.

Alternatively, is it possible to add this check to the pgp menu?  i.e., a
check keys function that will let you select the recipeint keys before trying
to send the message, so that you can leave encryption on by default, and only
turn it off before sending certain messages? Maybe even an option to try and
retrieve the missing keys?

I'd love to supply a patch to do this functionality, but my programming skills
are not nearly good enough to supply a usable patch.

--
jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     http://jeffenstein.dyndns.org/
PGP encrypted mail preferred.   Key id 0x19C987F5