File Identification

Hi there,

How does mutt identify text files?  I have two plain text files that I
have been trying to send by email.  The output of "file" for these is as
follows:

untyped_cds.txt: UTF-8 Unicode English text
list_of_music.txt: UTF-8 Unicode English text, with very long lines

They are both supposed to be utf-8 and were both created in VIM using
"set encoding=utf-8" among other things (not that I imagine it matters,
but they also have a modeline containing encoding=utf-8).

However, when I attach the files to an email in mutt, I get the
following (reformatted slightly for the sake of email):

I     1 /tmp/mutt-morat-15379-0       [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.4K]
A     2 ~/untyped_cds.txt             [text/plain, quoted, iso-8859-1, 0.9K]
A     3 ~/documents/list_of_music.txt [text/plain, quoted, utf-8, 103K]

Does anyone have any ideas as to why mutt thinks that untyped_cds.txt
isn't utf-8?  Also (and I realise that I need to investigate this a bit
further) I sent list_of_music.txt to someone else (using Evolution) and
the resulting file wasn't a utf-8 file.  I guess this could have been
Evolution's fault or it could have been that mutt thought that
list_of_music.txt was iso-8859-1 (as the resulting file was) -- the file
has changed a while since then.

Has anyone got any initial thoughts?  I will try and send
list_of_music.txt to the person with Evolution and do some testing in
the meantime.

Cheers,

Al