optional sleep before marking a message as "read" ?

Hi,

Here's my question-from-a-dummy:
migrating from another MUA, I get caught by this in Mutt (which is
otherwise astonishingly efficient):
when I read emails using the mode where you have a list of emails in
the top half of the page and the body of the selected email in the
bottom half, as soon as I pass on one email, even if it's just for a
fraction of second because I'm in fact going quickly down to another
more important email, the email I pass on gets marked "read". So when
I want to come back to it later I have trouble finding it again...

I have seen in some other MUAs: a configurable amount of time: "only
if I pass more than X seconds on the email then mark it as "read"".
I could not find the equivalent in the muttrc file.
Is this possible in Mutt? Is there a workaround?
Would you consider this a useful addition (if yes, I could contribute
for this; what would be the best name for the configurable time
variable?) ?

Thanks for your feedback!

Guilhem

--