Mutt fetching all messages when tagging new

Mutt 1.5.5.1+cvs20040105i (2003-11-05) on Debian Sid.

I just wanted to delete all 5000 "new" messages in a folder.  I first
did a Tag of all new:

  T ~N

which took a long time as it fetched all messages from the imap server.
Then again:

  ;d

to mark as delete all the tagged messages.  Again, that took a long
time.

I'm assuming it's fetching every single message for those operations.
I'm using imaps, so I can't use ethereal or tcpdump (well, I suppose I
could see the size of the packets).  If mutt has the index in memory why
does it have to go back to the imap server when tagging?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@xxxxxxxx