IMAP & saving certificates

I have a little problem with IMAP and certificates. First, relevant
lines from my .muttrc:

set spoolfile=imaps://host.invalid/INBOX
set folder=imaps://host.invalid/Mail
set ssl_starttls=yes
set imap_force_ssl
set imap_user="username"
set imap_pass="password"
set certificate_file=~/.mutt/certs

When I first start mutt (with no .mutt/certs or an empty file) I get
asked whether I want to (r)eject, accept (o)nce, (a)ccept always the
certificate. When I accept it, mutt says "Certificate saved" and
everything works fine. The certificate gets saved to .mutt/certs.

But the next time I start mutt, the already saved certificate won't get
used for some reason. Mutt asks me again to reject, accept once or
accept always. And this time, when I select accept always, I get an
error message "Warning: Couldn't save certificate". After that I can use
mutt as usual, but the certificate is only valid for one use at a time.

Of course, this is just a minor nuisance as the certificate will still
be accepted and works fine after that.  But if anyone can tell me how
to make mutt use this saved certificate, I'd appreciate it.

TIA!

--
Antti Sinisalo ---  antti.sinisalo@xxxxxx