mutt and shell variables

This is about how to get mutt-1.4.1 to save messages
to paths defined in local shell variables.  A search of
the archive and mutt FAQ did not give me an answer.

I am running mutt on a linux box (e.g., local.edu) to
use IMAP to retrieve my e-mails on a server (server.edu).
On local.edu I have shell variables STDY=/home/me/study1/
and DA=/home/me/DAnaly/, and I would like to save messages
locally to $STDY and $DA.

Under Mail or mailx I can scp server.edu:INBOX to local.edu,
and type "s 148 $DA/mail" to append message 148 to
/home/me/DAnaly/mail on work.edu; and I can later run
"Mail -f $DA/mail" to retrieve it.

I can't get mutt to work with $DA.  Mutt saves the file
"mail" under a directory called "$DA" on the IMAP server, not
on local.edu.  Saving to "~/$DA/mail" gives me /home/me/$DA/mail.
Is there a way to get mutt to use the shell variables on the
local machine, without the need to define them in .muttrc?

Many thanks in advance,

Yuelin Li