Re: User Manual fcc-hook example

On 2004-01-27, Mike M <linux-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I still don't understand what I am reading in section 3.15 of the User
> Manual. I am not able to get the example in
> section 3.15 working:
>
> --------------------
> Usage: fcc-hook [!]pattern mailbox
>
> This command is used to save outgoing mail in a mailbox other than
> $record. Mutt searches the initial list of message recipients for the
> first matching regexp and uses mailbox as the default Fcc: mailbox. If
> no match is found the message will be saved to $record mailbox.
>
> See Message Matching in Hooks for information on the exact format of
> pattern.
>
> Example: fcc-hook aol.com$ +spammers
>
> The above will save a copy of all messages going to the aol.com domain
> to the `+spammers' mailbox by default. Also see the fcc-save-hook
> command.
> --------------------
>
> I use:
> fcc-hook yadatech.com$ +yadatech
>
> I created +yadatech, +yadatech/new, +yadatech/cur, and +yadatech/tmp
> (b/c I use Maildir).
>
> When I compose a message to anybody@xxxxxxxxxxxx the Fcc field is set to
> =sent (b/c that's what $record is set to).
>
> When I change to this:
> fcc-hook '~t yadatech.com' +yadatech
>
> then when I compose a message to anybody@xxxxxxxxxxxx the Fcc field is set to
> =yadatech.
>
> What am I doing wrong such that the example in 3.15 does not work for me?

I don't know for sure, but take a look at the manual, section
6.3.35, default_hook.  The default_hook variable contains the
default pattern used by several hooks including fcc-hook.  Note that
the default pattern matches if the message is to a user matching the
given regular expression _AND_ is from you, according to
'alternates'.  Since using '~t' works but the default pattern does
not, my guess is that mutt doesn't recognize the from address as
you.  See what the manual says about 'alternates' and check how
yours is set.  One way to see if mutt is recognizing you as you is
to open a mailbox containing copies of messages from you, execute

    l ~P

and see what, if anything, shows up in the limited display.

HTH,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division