Re: encrypt to s/mime user ???

check out

http://www.joar.com/certificates/

they describe how to use mozilla to import the key, and how to get a 'backup copy' of the key into a file from mozilla which you can then import into mutt's set up using 'smime_keys add_p12 backupfile'.

for where they get stored, there are two variables which control that; smime_certificates and smime_keys, they are listed in the smime.rc which ships with mutt.

as for managing other people's keys, I'm not quite sure yet. I have my certificate and my wife's in my smime_certificates directory. I imported mine explicitly. I think the smime.rc set up extracts certs automatically and stores them in the smime_certificates dir. since the idea is you rely on the signing authority, you don't have to verify it or anything. openssl does that.