Re: PGP output lines...

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 05:42:05PM -0500, Todd wrote:

> If you aren't going to look at the output of gpg, then you could just
>
>     :unset pgp_verify_sig

That's not what he means.  (No, I can't read his mind.  I just remember
the last time he asked this question ... and my answer, too. . .)

> If you are only looking to get rid of the lines you quoted while
> keeping the gpg: output, then I'd think a display_filter would be
> easiest.

Eww ... a display_filter is really the wrong way to solve this problem.
Electing not to use Mutt's built-in functionality and instead invoking
your own using hooks (or filters) is the wrong way to solve problems with
how Mutt's built-in functionality works.  If you look at my mailing list
setup (posted a few minutes ago in another message), you'll notice that
I do just that with Mutt's From: header generation functionality.

Don't get me wrong, here: the fact that Mutt allows you to do just that
sort of thing is one of the most important reasons that Mutt is the best
mail client I've ever used (much better than ELM in many ways), but when
you find yourself having to use that ability more often than not, you
know too many arbitrary decisions have been made in implementing Mutt's
built-in functionality.  Having that silly PGP crap wasting lines on the
display by default isn't the end of the world, but not being able to get
rid of such an obvious annoyance is really unacceptable, IMHO.  Therefore,

David: Please file a wishlist "bug" report.  Coding a patch to implement
that change is trivial for anybody familiar with the relevant code.
If you file the bug report and nobody else steps forward, email me and
I'll hack up a patch just out of spite.

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel