open other's maildir folders

Hello,

I've been surfing for hours to no avail.
My MTA is Exim, using maildir format.  Mail is kept in one main parent
directory, not in user's home directories (more common??).
The mail store is /var/spool/maildir/[user]

I just installed Mutt 1.4.1i.  What I need to do is work with the "mailbox"
for user spambin, while logged in as root.

I've tried:
 MAIL=/var/spool/maildir/root
 MAILDIR=/var/spool/maildir/root
 # mutt -m Maildir -f spambin

and:
 MAIL=/var/spool/maildir/spambin
 MAILDIR=/var/spool/maildir/spambin
 # mutt -m Maildir -f spambin

Mutt exits with the error "spambin: No such file or directory (errno = 2)".
'spambin' already has mail (you can guess) and Exim has created the
appropriate dirs (cur, new, tmp) within /var/spool/maildir/spambin.

-any assistance is appreciated!!

Mike