Re: SMTP authentication

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 09:22:24AM +0100, Luca Matteis wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Will Fiveash wrote:
>
> > smtp_url=smtps://will.fiveash@xxxxxxxxxx:MyPassWd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:465
>
> I've tried this and I get:
>
>       SASL authentication failed

My example wasn't really relevant to your needs as I wasn't paying
attention to the fact that you have a '/' in your user name.

> My Mutt was compiled with SASL so I'm not sure what's going wrong.
>
> I've also tried using %2f instead of the / character, and I get:
>
>       SMTP session failed: 550 Bad To: domain

You need to verify that you can authenticate manually to the SMTP
daemon.  If you know then that your username, password and port # are
correct then you need to look at the specifics of mutt when it tries to
authenticate.  Unfortunately, if you are using smtps: (think SSL), which
one should when sending a cleartext password over the network, this
makes using a network snoop/tcpdump capture difficult because all the
data is encrypted.  Maybe mutt has some way of turning on a verbose mode
when it's authenticating to the SMTP daemon?

--
Will Fiveash