Re: [Mutt] #3480: IPv6 literal email-address fails

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 09:16:46AM +0100, Remco Rijnders wrote:
> Having had a further look at this, it seems the address parser / tokenizer
> sees ':' as a token to split on. I wonder if this is a widely used
> convention or one solely used by mutt. If there is no valid use case for
> seperating addresses with a colon, the literal IPv6 address problem can be
> easily fixed by taking the colon out of the tokenizer. If hower there is a
> valid reason to see the colon as a token seperator, more extensive logic
> and parsing will have to be applied to distinguish between colons used as
> token seperator and those colons used inside an IPv6 string literal
> address.

I guess that ':' as token character originates from source route
notation. RFC2821 appendix C describes it as historical and obsolete.

Because historical mails do exist in archives, I prefer to keep it that
way.

> Any thoughts or insights?

I would like to have the more extensive logic. What about to treat
'[' / ']' as sort of quoting?

Regards,
      Gero