Re: length of path variables

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 01:26:36AM +0100, Johannes WeiÃl wrote:
> While writing a tool which exploits the $editor variable (puts a lengthy
> vim script inside), I realized that all path variables are limited to
> _POSIX_PATH_MAX (= 256) characters, which is often too short in my case.

mutt should use PATH_MAX instead of _POSIX_PATH_MAX, this would allow to
push the boundary to the actuel limit of your system.

As a work-around, I would suggest to set editor="vim -S lengthy/script"
instead of putting the script body on the commande line.

> 1. Add a new variable type "command"
> This would make sense, since lots of variables are not really path names
> (although they usually contain one at the beginning), but commands that
> are handed over to system(3) and do not obey any maximum file path limit
> anyway. Currently, all those variables ($display_filter, $editor, ...)
> are expanded using mutt_expand_path(), which does not make much sense
> besides the tilde [~] for HOME (who uses $spoolfile at the beginning of
> $editor?), so this could lead to a cleaner handling.

Indeed, a command is not a path.  I would favor this configuration
variable type.  However, I see no reason to omit path expansion.

Cheers,
--
Bertrand Yvain
http://www.IELO.net/