Re: X-Label editing patch inclusion?

* On 18 Jul 2010, Jan Larres wrote:
> David Champion <dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Current version attached.  This applies to HEAD as of July 3.
>
> Very nice, thanks! I was wondering if it would be necessary to
> rfc2047_encode/decode the header or if that's already taken care of in other
> places of mutt.

I missed this question before.  No current code rfc2047-encodes
X-Label:.  I would say it's debatable whether it should be encoded --
it's not a standard header, not specified as MIME charset-encoded, and
is typically a local-only header (not propagated in most scenarios).
But it is useful to read and write it from other tools, and often those
tools do not have capability to do MIME charset encoding/decoding.

OTOH if it's not encoded when in us-ascii/Latin-1, that's a reasonable
safe fallback.  I wouldn't argue with an update to include that
behavior.  But I also can't commit this patch upstream. :)

--
 -D.    dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx    IT Services    University of Chicago