bizarre curses drawing error with gnome-terminal

I have this really strange drawing bug that I can't figure out. This only happens in gnome-terminal with TERM=xterm or TERM=xterm-new. If I use TERM=xterm-color the problem goes away. xterm and rxvt-unicode don't exhibit this problem, either.

Consider the following muttrc:

color normal default default
color indicator yellow red
set index_format='%s%*  test'

Open a mailbox and select a message with a short subject, such that mutt adds 13 or more spaces to pad the subject. View the message, then go back to the index menu. What I see is that the space character right before the 'test' has the default background color instead of the indicator background color.

If you do this where there are less than 13 space chars after the subject, that space gets the correct color.

me