inconsistant behavior.

I tried posting this to the mutt-users group but came up dry so I'm
trying here.

I'm running ubuntu hardy and debian lenny on a desktop machine and
hardy on a laptop. When reading new mail on lenny and the laptop, hitting
"c" results in the default suggested mailbox being the next one with new
mail. With hardy on the desktop it asks what mailbox to open and I have
to bring up the list and scroll to the desired one. All distros are set
up identically (I think). Mail is stored in mbox format on my hd. The
partitions are mounted relatime. The system wide /etc/Muttrc and the
~/.muttrc files are identical. I know because they were copied from one
of the distros where mutt worked correctly. Several searches have
turned up nothing of use. The objective, of course, is to have hardy on
the desktop emulate that on the laptop: having the "c" default
suggestion to be the next mailbox containing new mail.

I'm running mutt 1.5.17+20080114-1ubuntu1 on the two ubuntu
installations and 1.5.18 on debian.

Why the difference between the two supposedly identical ubuntu
installations is driving me nuts.

Any help, pointers, suggestions, flames, etc greatly appreciated.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279