bogus new mail notice: mtime/atime

I finally upgraded to mutt 1.5.20 on a new OpenBSD 4.6 box and I
have a problem with folders showing as to have "new mail".  The
mail is stored in local mbox format. After I read and delete some
mails in a folder (A) and then switch to another one (B), mutt
claims that there is new mail in A. Checking the st_*time entries
shows:

ctime: Mon Nov  9 12:54:46 2009
atime: Mon Nov  9 12:54:45 2009
mtime: Mon Nov  9 12:54:46 2009

The mtime is always 1s newer than the atime of those folders that
I just left. Is that a problem with the way mutt updates folders
after entries are deleted (write the new mbox which updates mtime
but not atime?) or with my local setup?

Example: here I deleted the last message in the mbox folder
and then hit 'q' and 'y' for confirmation.
$ mutt -f mbox
9 kept, 1 deleted.
$ mystat mbox
ctime: Mon Nov  9 13:23:47 2009