SIGQUIT (what the...?)

So, today I was about to sync some message deletes by pressing '$'
(i.e. shift-4), when mutt told me "Caught signal 3... Exiting."
Yay.  That was definitely not what I wanted.

I had a vague memory that on some systems, the default setting for
stty quit might have been  mapped to one of the modifier keys +
something in the number row, so I started messing with keyboard
combinations similar to that.

NOTE: on my system, stty says quit is mapped to ^\, which is the
default for Linux.  I confirmed that ^\ does indeed generate a
SIGQUIT, as expected.

I found that ^4 causes Mutt to receive SIGQUIT.  Then I tried some
other terminal-oriented program, and pressing ^4 there also generated
a SIGQUIT.

Can anyone explain this?

-=-=-=-=-