Re: mutt: 5 new changesets

On Friday, June 26 at 12:00 AM, quoth Brendan Cully:
5 new changesets in mutt:

http://dev.mutt.org/hg/mutt/rev/c5d0252e8f72
changeset:   5946:c5d0252e8f72
branch:      HEAD
tag:         tip
user:        Rocco Rutte <pdmef@xxxxxxx>
date:        Thu Jun 25 21:46:28 2009 +0200
summary:     Fix f=f corner case with DelSp=yes abuse

I had a thought... Occasionally, I use UTF-8 characters in my messages, which may or may not get quoted-printable-encoded. In any event, the bytes-per-line can become larger than the number of columns I specify in my editor (vim), to some extent, beyond my control.

How hard would it be for mutt to re-wrap format=flowed messages before sending, in order to guarantee that the lines are less than the format=flowed limit (72/79 characters).

More generally... RFC 2646 says:

    A generating agent SHOULD:
1. Ensure all lines (fixed and flowed) are 79 characters or
           fewer in length, counting the trailing space but not
           counting the CRLF, unless a word by itself exceeds 79
           characters..
        2. Trim spaces before user-inserted hard line breaks.
        3. Space-stuff lines which start with a space, "From ", or
           ">".

Granted, the mutt-format=flowed relationship is a somewhat rocky one, relying on the person's editor to do most of the heavy lifting. I don't think mutt can be held responsible for #2, and probably not for #3, but I think mutt *can* do #1. And since (with quoted-printable encoding) mutt can cause messages to violate that line length limit (depending on how you interpret the RFCs), perhaps it even needs to do #1. What do you guys think?

~Kyle
--
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
                                              -- Albert Einstein, 1941