Re: [Mutt] #1611: mutt erroneously omits information in parenthesis

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:15:25PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:43:02PM -0000, Mutt wrote:
> > #1611: mutt erroneously omits information in parenthesis after addresses in
> > Cc
> > headers
> > -----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
> >   Reporter:  Marco d'Itri <md@xxxxxxxx>  |       Owner:  mutt-dev
> >       Type:  defect                      |      Status:  new
> >  Component:  mutt                        |     Version:  1.5.20
> > Resolution:                              |    Keywords:
> > -----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
> >
> > Comment(by agriffis):
> >
> >  Those don't look like legal address specs to me.  See
> >  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4
>
> Keep reading.  See section 4.

Actually I read the spec much too quickly, and got it totally wrong.
It's explicitly allowed in RFC 5322, in section 3.4 that you point to.

  3.4. Address Specification

     Addresses occur in several message header fields to indicate
     senders and recipients of messages.  An address may either be an
     individual mailbox, or a group of mailboxes.

     address         =   mailbox / group

     mailbox         =   name-addr / addr-spec

     name-addr       =   [display-name] angle-addr

     angle-addr      =   [CFWS] "<" addr-spec ">" [CFWS] /
                         obs-angle-addr

See section 3.2.2 for an explanation of [CFWS].

It is likewise explicitly allowed in RFCs 2822, and 822, and 733.

Note that 822 and 733 are standards; the more recent ones are not (not
that it matters in this case).