Re: Create a "cd" command to change the current directory

On 03Jan2009 17:27, David Champion <dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > I think it's a good idea, but it'll have to queue up behind bug
| > fixes. It would be nice to try to clean up other path handling warts
| > (LastDir vs attachments, local vs IMAP) when we do this.
|
| Alongside a cd I'd like to see a pushd/popd.  Cd could even be the pushd
| operation.  Personally I don't care how deep the stack is or whether
| it's finite at all.  The most common use case only needs a depth of 1.
|
| I have a generic variable-stacking patch I could dredge up if the
| stack-handling code is useful for this.  (Not that it'd be hard to write
| from scratch, but who's not short on time?)

Personally I would much rather see:
  - your generic variable stacking patch
  - a mutt var representing the current directory path
The you can make pushd/popd, and are able to do a bunch of other things.

For example, I often wish I could:
  - push the current taggedness
  - muck with tags to do stuff
  - restore the taggedness
If the taggedness were also available as a mutt var (ideally a list of
message-ids) the generic push/pop would work there.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

But in our enthusiasm, we could not resist a radical overhaul of the
system, in which all of its major weaknesses have been exposed, analyzed,
and replaced with new weaknesses.       - Bruce Leverett