hacking on mutt

Hi,

I've been a long time user of mutt and was looking to hack up a new
feature to see if it makes my life easier.  Instead of spending hours
reading through all the code, I was hoping someone could point me to the
general area where I could start.

Basically, I wanted to implement an idea that gmail uses.  The one thing I
liked about gmail is how threads 'bubble' up to the top as the continue to
be active, leaving dead threads behind.  My idea is to hack on to the
'sort' command another option to sort my email based on threads but using
the last-email-in-the-thread's date instead of the parent.

However, I was having trouble trying to figure out which code refreshes
my display as new email arrives (IOW adding new thread to the mbox I am
viewing).

Any thoughts, or pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Don