Re: Segmentation fault from mutt-1.5.17 with SMTP

On 2008-11-10, Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday, November 10 at 12:15 AM, quoth Gary Johnson:
>>   $ echo test | mutt -s test garyjohn
>
> Hmmm, okay, so, you're not *specifying* a return address. I suppose the
> question is: what should mutt be doing in this case?
>
> Have you set the environment variable 'EMAIL'? I'm guessing not. I'm also
> guessing that you don't have a muttrc that sets $from to anything either. I
> think sendmail probably defaults to $USER @ $HOSTNAME, and I suppose mutt
> could do that too. But in any case you should be able to work around this
> by providing mutt with some more information.

Thanks for looking at this.

I don't explicitly specify a from address when I use that same mutt
binary interactively, as I'm doing now, and it sends mail fine
interactively.

I tried the following three methods of specifying my from address.

1.
    EMAIL=garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx echo test | mutt -s test garyjohn

2.
    export EMAIL=garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx