Re: xlabel request

>     That's an annoying conflict: The browse mailboxes macro [y] is
> consistent with "mutt -y". OTOS <edit-label> bound to the [y] key is
> consistent with the ~y search pattern, and with the %y and %Y expandos.

It is annoying, but so it goes.  When the x-label patch was first
developed, it was %x/X and ~x, but then mutt started using ~x for
something else. ('x' would have been a bad binding for edit-label
anyway.)  So x-label went to the next letter in the alphabet that wasn't
in use, and then got accepted upstream.

Then edit-label came, and used 'y' as a binding because it made sense,
but some years later 'y' was also taken -- first by the NNTP patch, and
then by mutt itself.

I'm happy to change to anything without a conflict it if it will go
upstream.  At some point changing the patch's default binding is just
chasing a moving target, but if it will help Rocco or Brendan, I'll
repost with a change.  It should also affect the x-label sorting
keystroke.

>     <edit-label> leads to a prompt, wanting both hands on keyboard: It
> should be able to bear with a more complex binding, like shift-y (or
> something else like <Esc>y, ^Y, or whatever). And X-Labels already
> picked an uppercase for the %Y expansion.

Shift-Y would be a good choice.  <Esc> bindings are to be used as a last
resort, since in some environments you must wait an uncomfortable amount
of time (500 ms or more) between ESC and the other key to distinguish
the separate keystrokes from an ESC sequence generated by the keyboard
(e.g., f-keys, arrow keys).  Control is less bad, but also a second
choice since the control key moves from keyboard to keyboard.

--
 -D.    dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx    NSIT    University of Chicago