Re: [Mutt] #3016: copyright years are not up-to-date

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Mutt wrote:

#3016: copyright years are not up-to-date

Comment (by vinc17):

Note that several files have been modified this year, and the copyright
notice hasn't been updated (and ditto for previous years: I've looked at a
few .c files, and the last year of their copyright noticed was either 2000
or 2002, though they have probably been modified, at least some of them).

The change history can easily show this.  Normal practice is to update
copyright notice in a file at the time when it is changed.

Also, the FSF agreed that it is OK to update the year of every file of the
project when one of them is modified (just like assuming that the
copyright notice is attached to the project instead of each file -- this
makes sense as the organization into files is mainly technical and one can
move some part of the code from some file to another one).

In this regard, I'm only inclined to follow FSF's guidance if it is a GNU project (where they actually have some right to insist on variations from
normal practice).  Aside from that, it's just another opinion.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net