Re: [Mutt] #714: Lines starting From aren't escaped saving from Maildir to mbox

#714: Lines starting From aren't escaped saving from Maildir to mbox

Comment (by vinc17):

 I've noticed that he avoids talking about the restrictions on line
 lengths: escaping a "From " line adds a character, which is bad if the
 maximum line length had already been reached.

 RFC 2822 says:
 {{{
 2.1.1. Line Length Limits

    There are two limits that this standard places on the number of
    characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than
    998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
    the CRLF.
 [...]
 }}}

 Though this doesn't apply to mailbox formats, I wouldn't be surprised if
 some/much mail software assumes that messages in mailboxes are in the
 RFC2822 format (this would be rather logical after all).

 Also, if one assumes that nowadays, mail software supports MIME, quoted-
 printable allows to encode the "From" without any corruption.

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/714#comment:12>