Re: [Mutt] #2956: Recipient address broken if containing Š character (UTF-8 code: 0xc5 0xA0)

#2956: Recipient address broken if containing Š character (UTF-8 code: 0xc5
0xA0)

Comment (by Rocco Rutte):

 {{{
 Hi,

 * Vincent Lefevre [07-09-18 15:17:30 +0200] wrote:
 >On 2007-09-18 10:03:27 -0000, Mutt wrote:

 >>  I'd say lacking documentation is the bug (which I've fixed for now).
 For
 >>  me it makes sense to use $charset as fallback because the text already
 >>  is/was encoded in it, hence mutt can assume it can be converted
 exactly
 >>  into it.

 >It doesn't necessarily make sense as the $charset may be completely
 >local to the machine (e.g. 'x-my-charset'). I think that trying to
 >convert the local charset to the last item of $send_charset, which
 >should be the most general charset (e.g. utf-8), makes more sense.

 In theory I agree. But $send_charset is user configurable and doesn't
 have to contain utf-8, it could even by empty. And still then, even with
 utf-8 (as in your case), conversion may fail not because the last item
 isn't generic enough but because the input is invalid.

 Even in that case mutt has to do something.

 Without another conversion test, you could still let it default to utf-8
 instead of $charset though.

 >I think it is important to let the user control the fallback.

 I don't think that makes lots of sense since it's kind of
 micro-optimization, IMHO. Because at that point, no charset did fit and
 mutt is likely going to send out broken content anyway, so by letting
 the user control it you only give him the control in what specific way
 it's broken, not if it's broken at all.

 For the case that all conversions failed because $send_charset is
 wrongly configured and the input is valid, $charset is the best choice,
 so I think it's really only about the case of broken input.

    bye, Rocco
 }}}

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/2956#comment:>