Re: [Mutt] #2952: <BackSpace> should use terminal settings

#2952: <BackSpace> should use terminal settings

Comment (by Kyle Wheeler):

 {{{
 On Tuesday, September 11 at 04:56 PM, quoth Mutt:
 >> <BackSpace> must be defined by behavior, not by the ink printed on
 >> the key, because of course no program can know what's printed on the
 >> key.
 >
 > No, that's not how the terminfo works. <BackSpace> means the backspace
 > key. No more. Just like <Left> means the left key and so on.

 How is the terminfo supposed to know what the user has painted on
 their keyboard? It can't know whether the backspace key emits a ^H or
 a ^? (or any other value), so why pretend that it's an authoritative
 resource on the question of what the backspace key emits? I recognize
 that it would be awfully nice if we could somehow always know what key
 sequence the backspace key emits, but we simply can't.

 After all, what is it about the backspace key that makes it the
 backspace key? There's its position on the keyboard, and the fact that
 it says "backspace" on it, and what we expect the computer to do when
 we press it. Its position on the keyboard can change, and what is
 written on it can change as well (Apple keyboards don't have Backspace
 and Delete keys, they have Delete and Del keys; older Sun keyboards
 don't have Backspace keys either, they have keys with a left-arrow on
 them (these keys are the same size as the <Left> key, have the same
 picture on them, but are just in the top-right corner of the qwerty
 area of the keyboard)). What it all really boils down to as far as
 what we mean when we say "the backspace key" is "that key that we
 press that we think will delete the character to the left of the
 cursor" and no more. But truly, since we can change which key performs
 that operation, why are we still working with an obviously broken
 definition of "the backspace key" as "that key in the upper-right
 corner of the qwerty section of the keyboard that has either
 Backspace, Delete, a left-arrow, or something else similarly
 suggestive on it"?

 ~Kyle
 }}}

--