Re: when using `which` send errors to /dev/null

On 26May2007 12:49, Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On 2007-05-25 12:06:26 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
| > I'm not aware of any Unix-derivative systems where /bin/sh is
| > not a Bourne-shell derivative (Bourne Shell, Korn Shell, POSIX shell,
| > or Bash).  All of those shells use ':' as the path separator for
| > $PATH.  Can you suggest an example?
|
| It seems that bash can accept/use ';' under some conditions. The
| autoconf manual (info) says:
|
| `PATH_SEPARATOR'
|      If it is not set, `configure' will detect the appropriate path
|      separator for the build system and set the `PATH_SEPARATOR' output
|      variable accordingly.
|
|      On DJGPP systems, the `PATH_SEPARATOR' environment variable can be
|      set to either `:' or `;' to control the path separator `bash' uses
|      to set up certain environment variables (such as `PATH').  Since
|      this only works inside `bash', you want `configure' to detect the
|      regular DOS path separator (`;'), so it can be safely substituted
|      in files that may not support `;' as path separator.  So it is
|      recommended to either unset this variable or set it to `;'.

Of course, such a system isn't a UNIX system...
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I think you're confusing "recognizing" and "understanding" with "caring".
The net is cruel, sometimes, but always fair.
        - Rick Gordon <rickg@xxxxxxx>