Re: [Mutt] #2886: inconsistent use of backslash in regexps

#2886: inconsistent use of backslash in regexps

Comment (by David Champion):

 {{{
 * On 2007.05.07, in <038.29cad208b03a923a88ee8ab75959843e@xxxxxxxx>,
 *       "Mutt" <fleas@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > #2886: inconsistent use of backslash in regexps
 >
 >  If I want to match the + character from the index, I need to write,
 e.g.
 >    ~Bc\\+\\+
 >  (with two backslashes before the +). But from the pager, I need to
 search
 >  for:
 >    c\+\+
 >  with a single backslash this time.

 This isn't inconsistent, exactly, because the contexts aren't parallel.
 When you enter a search expression at the index, the expression is
 parsed by the command parser.  At the pager, it's simply a regexp -- no
 parsing required.

 Annoying, perhaps, but the only solution is to make the pager require a
 parse as well, and that would make it inconsistent with external pagers
 and general expectation.
 }}}

--
Ticket URL: <http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/2886#comment:>